In September 2020, a number of contractors hired to demolish Pier 58 on the Seattle waterfront were violently plunged into…
Karr Tuttle Campbell’s Emerging Company and Venture Capital group consists of a highly experienced team of attorneys focused on providing legal services to start-ups, emerging companies, entrepreneurs, and venture capital funds.
EMERGING COMPANY AND VENTURE CAPITAL
Karr Tuttle Campbell’s Emerging Company and Venture Capital group has been growing to meet the needs of Seattle’s startups, entrepreneurs, and investors. This growth is built upon a foundation of integrity, trust and respect.
With each engagement, we seek to deliver value and establish long term relationships, both with companies and with the people who build them. The group consists of highly experienced attorneys with industry experience in the fields of computer hardware and software, semiconductor engineering, genetics, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, data analytics, internet marketing, internet infrastructure and technology transfer. The diverse backgrounds of our attorneys allow us to quickly understand our clients’ backgrounds, industries, legal needs and business opportunities. The group is also well connected and respected within the Northwest’s funding community.
Karr Tuttle Campbell has represented hundreds of emerging companies in a wide range of industries including software and hardware development, aerospace, space exploration, personalized medicine, medical and consumer device development, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and mobility innovation, videogames, mobile application development and services, online sales and services, communications, new media, social networking, information systems consulting, technology staffing, cybersecurity, machine learning, payment processing and new manufacturing. We offer the full range of services a startup will need throughout its life cycle, including:
- Providing essential business advice and guidance in connection with entity formation
- Drafting effective private placement documents and investor presentations
- Advising on compliance with securities laws and regulations
- Negotiating venture and angel capital transactions
- Developing, acquiring and protecting intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets
- Structuring equity and non-equity employee compensation incentives
- Establishing an effective corporate governance structure
- Advising entrepreneurs on federal and state tax issues
- Structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions
- Completing initial public offerings and follow-on offerings
Karr Tuttle Campbell has represented several of Seattle’s venture capital and private equity funds. The group represents Seattle Angel, a non-profit corporation that educates Seattle’s future startups and investors, and sponsors and represents the Seattle Angel Conferences and Seattle Angel Funds. We provide the full range of services that investors, venture capital funds, corporate venture arms and private equity firms need in connection with executing their investment strategies, including:
- Formation of angel funds, venture funds and corporate venture funds
- Evaluating and structuring initial and follow-on investments
- Evaluating intellectual property portfolios of target companies
- Counseling partners on corporate governance relating to portfolio company boards
- Advising on continuing relationships with portfolio companies
- Addressing tax issues, both at the portfolio company level and for key employees and service providers
- Developing and executing exit strategies
The lawyers in our Emerging Company and Venture Capital group have developed a deep understanding of market standards and how to negotiate and structure transactions to build long-term, successful relationships between venture capitalists and emerging companies and between venture capitalists and their limited partners.
Our team’s attorneys coordinate the provision of integrated service and strategic advice to emerging company and venture capital clients across multiple disciplines, including: intellectual property; mergers and acquisition; taxation; corporate finance and securities; employee benefits and executive compensation; business and finance; and labor and employment.