Hawaiian coffee farmers have alleged that Kroger has breached a settlement agreement to stop selling falsely labeled “Kona” coffee and urged a Washington federal judge to order the grocery chain to turn over sales records so the farmers can calculate the damages.
Karr Tuttle Campbell’s Business and Finance Department attorneys focus their practices primarily on transactions and compliance for businesses in the Pacific Northwest. We provide quality legal services at a fair price in a responsive manner and preserve client confidentiality on an ongoing basis. Our attorneys are sensitive to project costs and work with clients to balance legal and other costs against the economics of particular endeavors in order to achieve practical solutions and optimize client objectives.
Because Karr Tuttle Campbell tends to use experienced partner-level attorneys who have broad professional skill sets, project groups usually are smaller, compared with those of many other full-service law firms. Working in smaller groups helps us communicate better with our clients, enhancing our overall responsiveness and efficiency in serving their needs. Our Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcy attorneys offer expertise in addressing collection and insolvency matters and in counseling clients regarding bankruptcy and workout strategies. Where appropriate, our department’s attorneys also work closely with attorneys in the firm’s other practice groups, including Estate Planning and Probate; Employment Relations; and Litigation.
Areas of Expertise
The professional experience of our business and finance attorneys covers a variety of legal areas and industries. Transaction and compliance areas in which our attorneys have significant experience include:
- Mergers and acquisitions of publicly and privately held companies, from both purchase (including by private equity funds) and sale sides
- Securities offerings, both public and private, representing companies, underwriters, venture investors (including VCs), stockholders, and management
- Secured and unsecured loans, representing borrowers and lenders, including acquisition, development, construction, bridge and permanent loan transactions, mezzanine loans, multistate or multi-parcel transactions, cross-collateral transactions, bond financing transactions, revolving lines of credit, loans secured by ground leases, and loans secured by TIC interests
- Corporate, partnership, LLC, and other business and nonprofit entity selection, formation, governance, and reorganization
- Federal and Washington State taxation of corporations, partnerships, LLCs, and other business and nonprofit entities
- Real estate acquisition and sale, together with subdivision, ground lease negotiation, development, leasing (retail, office, and industrial) and related permitting and compliance
- Land use compliance of all types
- Business franchising and product and service distribution, including related agreements
- Guidance to our clients in all aspects of business, including drafting contracts, employment agreements, licensing agreements, and trademark and intellectual property rights and licensing
- International and offshore transactions, including joint venture agreements and dispute resolution mechanisms
- Broker-dealer and investment advisor compliance with SEC, FINRA, exchange, and state authorities
In September 2020, a number of contractors hired to demolish Pier 58 on the Seattle waterfront were violently plunged into…