Hawaiian coffee farmers have alleged that Kroger has breached a settlement agreement to stop selling falsely labeled “Kona” coffee and urged a Washington federal judge to order the grocery chain to turn over sales records so the farmers can calculate the damages.
Karr Tuttle Campbell has a diversified construction law practice involving structuring transactions, negotiating contracts, counseling, document preparation, claims preparation and analysis, and litigation. Among the firm’s clients are project owners, financial institutions, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals located throughout the United States.
Our lawyers have handled legal matters related to many different types of construction projects, such as high-rise office buildings, shopping centers, agricultural processing facilities, residential developments, convention centers, sports facilities, industrial warehouses, hotels, airline terminals, geothermal power plants, waste-to-energy facilities as well as various other commercial projects and industrial plants.
Examples of Typical Construction-Related Matters Handled by the Firm
- Preparation, review, and negotiation of development, design, engineering, design/build, and construction documents
- Evaluation of insurance coverage for various participants in the construction process
- Representation of contractors in the preparation, settlement or litigation of claims that arise from changes in scope of work, delay, disruption, acceleration, termination, and other performance-related matters
- Representation of owners, developers, and design professionals in the analysis, negotiation, settlement or litigation of contractor claims
- Representation of owners and developers in claims against contractors and design professionals arising out of design errors or defective construction
- Enforcement of and defense against mechanic’s liens
- Assistance with legal problems concerning troubled projects, including restructuring contractor and subcontractor relationships, integrating new contractors, and negotiating loan workouts
- Defense or prosecution of prejudgment writs of attachment or garnishment
- Assistance with project financing, including distress financing
Karr Tuttle Campbell also has an extensive government contracts practice, and, as a consequence, is familiar with the requirements unique to construction contracting with the federal government. The firm has assisted clients in the resolution of changed work, acceleration, disruption, delay, and defective specification claims, both in the United States and abroad, as well as with other problems unique to federal government construction contracting, including bidding, Davis-Bacon Act issues, Miller Act claims, Buy-American requirements, and OSHA violations.
In September 2020, a number of contractors hired to demolish Pier 58 on the Seattle waterfront were violently plunged into…