Columbia Tower Seattle Columbia Tower Seattle

Investor Visa Attorney for E-1, E-2, and EB-5 Visas


As experienced E-1 and E-2 Seattle investor visa lawyers, we assist individuals worldwide wishing to invest in businesses in the United States. We understand the importance of E-1 and E-2 visas in promoting healthy commerce and investment with nationals from countries which have the U.S. has a valid Treaty of Commerce and Navigation.

The E-1 and E-2 visa application process, however, can be complicated.  If you are a non-U.S. resident and seeking to invest in the U.S., it will be advantageous to retain the services of an investment visa lawyer who can explain the nuances and requirements for both E-1 and E-2 visas.

What is an E-1 Visa?

E-1 Visas (also called Treaty Trader Visas) allow individuals to enter and work in the U.S. based on their trade. This visa is only available to citizens of countries with which the U.S. has a treaty.

The trading company must be at least 50% owned by citizens of the trader’s country, and over 50% of the international trade involved must be between the U.S. and the treaty country.

It is critical to emphasize that this visa mandates holders to enter the U.S. “solely to carry on substantial trade.” Being a non-immigrant visa, the E-1 is temporary in nature. However, as long as the trade continues to comply with all U.S. immigration rules and requirements, this visa can be renewed or extended.

Those seeking to enter the U.S. to conduct business can thus benefit from the help of an E-1 attorney – we can help.

What is an E-2 Visa?

E-2 visas allow foreign nationals from a treaty country to live and work in the U.S. temporarily. To qualify, foreign nationals must make a substantial investment in a U.S. business or enterprise, and the investment funds must be legitimately derived and subject to a real risk of loss as part of the investment.

Individuals with an E-2 visa are granted entry into the U.S. “solely to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise” where they have a substantial capital investment. Just like with an E-1 visa, E-2 visas are “non-immigrant” and thus temporary.

E-2 visas can be renewed or extended as long as the investment enterprise continues to comply with applicable U.S. immigration standards.

As E-2 lawyers, we help individuals with the investment and the E-2 visa application process.

What is an EB-5 Immigrant Investor Visa?

EB-5 investor visas allow individuals interested in investing significantly in a U.S. enterprise or business to seek permanent residence in the U.S. Accompanying spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 are permitted to immigrate with the primary investor.

The investment must be made in a new, for-profit business or enterprise. The investor must actively participate in the business operations, and capital investments must be at least $1.05 million (or $800,000 in certain designated areas). Additionally, the business must create at least ten new jobs for U.S. workers within two years of the investment.

Our Immigration Services

We offer comprehensive legal representation in virtually all types of immigration visa matters, including:

  • E-1 Visa
  • E-2 Visa
  • E-3 Visa
  • EB-1 Visa
  • EB-2 Visa
  • EB-3 Visa
  • EB-4 Visa
  • EB-5 Visa
  • K-1 Finance Visa
  • K-2 Visa
  • K-3 Green Card for Marriage, or “Spouse Visa”
  • K-4 Visa


  • L-1A Visa
  • L-1B Visa
  • H-1B Visa
  • R-1 Visa
  • O-1 Visa
  • P-1 Visa
  • TN
  • Business Immigration
  • Family-Based Immigration
  • Employment-Based Immigration
  • Investor Visas



Investor Visa FAQs for E-1, E-2, and EB-5 Visas

We offer a full suite of services for E-1 and E-2 visa applicants, including:

  • Business entity formation and registration
  • Provision of a professionally written 3-5 year business plan
  • Assistance in gathering and submitting all supporting documentation to USCIS
  • Preparation for your Consular Interview (or USCIS interview if changing status within the U.S.)
  • Preparation and submission of amendments or application of renewal of E-1/E-2 visa status to USCIS

Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 can accompany or join an E-2 worker in the U.S. Spouses may seek work authorization from USCIS upon entry in E dependent status by applying for an employment authorization document. Spouses and children may also attend school.

Yes, employees of investment companies may qualify for an E-2 visa. For more information about qualifying treaty countries and/or how to qualify for an E-2 visa, please contact our office.

Obtaining an EB-5 immigrant investor visa has several benefits:

  • You become a resident of the United States
  • You can work anywhere in the U.S. without any time duration restrictions or need for a sponsor
  • You, along with your family, can work at any company in the U.S., in any job function
  • Monetary return on investment
  • You may be eligible for U.S. citizenship after five years

Navigating the intricacies of E-1, E-2, and EB-5 investor visas can be challenging. However, our experienced business immigration lawyers are here to provide continuous support and legal counsel.