Mike Liles, Jr.https://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Mike-Liles-Jr-web-1024x453.jpg 1024 453 Karr Tuttle Campbell Karr Tuttle Campbell https://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Mike-Liles-Jr-web-1024x453.jpg
Mike Liles, Jr. is a shareholder and member of the Corporate Finance Practice Group of Karr Tuttle Campbell. He has been the primary legal adviser for over 30 major public offerings, the majority of them initial public offerings, and an equal number of major mergers and acquisitions. In 2008, Mr. Liles was recognized by Seattle Business Monthly as one of Seattle’s “Top 87 Business Lawyers,” and a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine on several occasions.
Mike Liles, Jr. is a member of the Corporate Finance Practice Group of Karr Tuttle Campbell’s Business and Finance Department. He has been the primary legal adviser in over 30 major public offerings, the majority of them initial public offerings, and an equal number of major mergers and acquisitions. As lead counsel he has also advised on strategies, negotiated transactions and prepared documentation for private placements, bridge financings, venture financings, public company regulatory compliance, proxy contests, strategic alliances, joint ventures, protection of intellectual property, officer and director risk management, employment, incentive and termination of key personnel, and corporate governance. In recent years Mr. Liles has been active in the resolution of administrative actions by securities regulators.
Industries Mr. Liles has served include internet and computer software and peripherals, telecommunications, securities underwriters and broker-dealers, medical equipment and information systems, biotechnology, chemical manufacture and distribution, outdoor sports product manufacture, fabric and garment manufacture, retail clothing, restaurant and fast food chains, and meat and seafood distribution.
He is a principal draftsperson of “SCOR,” the Small Company Offering Registration, a simplified public offering procedure developed for use in Washington State, which was later adopted by most other states and by the SEC.
Prior to joining Karr Tuttle Campbell in 1995, Mr. Liles was a partner for 24 years at Bogle & Gates, where he chaired the Corporate Finance Department and served on the Executive Committee. In 2008, Mr. Liles was recognized by Seattle Business Monthly as one of Seattle’s “Top 87 Business Lawyers,” and has been named a “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine on multiple occasions.
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Annual Business Law Symposium, 2011, 2012
- North American Securities Administrators Association, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1995, 2000, 2006, 2013
- “Advising Small Businesses Seeking to Raise Capital over the Internet,” King County Bar Association Journal (May, June 2012)
- Report and Recommendations of the Task Force on Private Placement Broker—Dealers, 60 Bus. Law. 959 (2005) (co-author)
- “Financing the American Dream—ULOR SCOR[ES],” 45 Bus. Law. 1343 (1990) (co-author)
- “Financing the American Dream—A Beginning,” 44 Bus. Law, 625, (1989) (co-author)
- “Financing the American Dream—Small Business and the ULOR Project,” 43 Bus. Law, 757 (1988) (co-author)
- “Note: Securities Regulation—A Businessman’s Guide,” Harvard Business School (1973)
- LL.B., Harvard Law School
- M.B.A., Finance, Wharton School of Finance & Commerce, University of Pennsylvania
- A.B., Engineering and Applied Physics, Harvard College
- Washington State Bar
- American Bar Association, State Regulation of Securities Committee
- Chair, Regulation A+ Working Group, (2012—present)
- Chair, Subcommittee on NSMIA and Limited Offering Exemptions (2005—present)
- Member, Study Group (and principal draftsperson), Small Corporate Offering Registration (“SCOR”) Form U-7
- Member, Private Placement Broker-Dealer Task Force (2001—present)
- American Bar Association, Federal Regulation of Securities Committee (1971—1982, 1998—present)
- American Bar Association, Corporate Governance Committee (2007—present)
- Washington State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Securities Law Committee (1972-1982, 2005—present)
- King County Bar Association