Mitzi Vaughnhttps://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/MVaughnFull-1024x683.jpg 1024 683 Karr Tuttle Campbell Karr Tuttle Campbell https://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/MVaughnFull-1024x683.jpg
Mitzi Vaughn is a shareholder at Karr Tuttle Campbell. She represents clients in matters of cannabis regulatory compliance, corporate transactions and governance, and intellectual property. She was a founding board member of the International Cannabis Bar Association and currently sits on its advisory board.
Mitzi Vaughn is a shareholder at Karr Tuttle Campbell. She represents clients in matters of cannabis regulatory compliance, corporate transactions and governance, and intellectual property. She was a founding board member of the International Cannabis Bar Association, and currently sits on its advisory board.
From 2017 to 2020, Mitzi was the Chief Legal Officer of a company that provides intellectual property licensing, financing, real estate and hard assets leases, and other support to U.S. and international cannabis and hemp enterprises. From 2013 to 2017 she worked with Greenbridge Corporate Counsel, a transactional law boutique exclusively serving the cannabis industry in Washington, California, and Hawai’i. She served as its Managing Attorney. She has advised governmental bodies regarding cannabis regulation, including the Jamaican Cannabis Licensing Authority, the Hawaii Legislature’s Joint Health Committee, members of the Washington State Legislature, and the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (“WSLCB”).
In 2019, Mitzi participated in legislative negotiations the resulted in the passage SSB 5318 – the statute “reforming the compliance and enforcement provisions for marijuana licensees.” She drafted revisions to the first bill that were incorporated into the substitute bill and voted into law. Mitzi subsequently assisted in drafting Washington Administrative Code provisions and WSLCB Enforcement Division policies implementing SSB 5318. She continues to be active in the legislative and rulemaking process.
Mitzi is also actively involved with international and U.S. drug policy reform organizations. She served as General Counsel to the Coalition for Cannabis Standards and Ethics (WA) from 2013-2015. Since 2015, she has represented The Cannabis Alliance (successor to CCSE) in a General Counsel role. Finally, Mitzi is a Board Member for the Drug Reform Coordination Network & the DRCNet Foundation, organizations that are active at the United Nations at home and abroad.
- Speaker, “Outpacing Regulations: Innovation in Cannabinoids,” Washington Cannabis Summit (virtual), (September 23, 2021)
- Speaker, “Opportunities for CBD in Retail,” Washington Food Industries Association (virtual), (July 8, 2021)
- Speaker, “Business Law – Formation 201 – Drafting for cannabis business entities,” International Cannabis Bar Association Continuing Legal Education (recorded), (June 9, 2021)
- Speaker, “Hemp –The Shake-Out Since the Farm Bill,” International Cannabis Bar Association Cannabis Legal Institute (virtual), (Oct. 10, 2020)
- Speaker, “Boon or Trojan Horse?” Washington Cannabis Summit (virtual) Out of State Funding, (Sept. 25, 2020)
- In-House Counsel Roundtable Moderator, International Cannabis Bar Association, Cannabis Legal Institute, New York, NY, (Sept. 5, 2019)
- Speaker, “Hemp and CBD,” National Cannabis Industry Association’s Annual Business Summit Oakland, CA, (July 22, 2019)
- Speaker, “International Opportunities in Hemp and Cannabis,” American Bar Association International Law Section Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., (April 10, 2019)
- Speaker, “Mary Jane Goes into the Lab: The Evolving Business & Medical Landscape of Marijuana in North and South America,” Washington Cannabis Summit, Seattle, WA, (January 4, 2019)
- Speaker, “Mary Jane Goes into the Lab: The Evolving Business & Medical Landscape of Marijuana in North and South America,” American Bar Association International Law Section Fall Conference, Miami, FL, (Oct. 27, 2017)
- National Cannabis Bar Association’s Cannabis Law Institute (Denver and Washington D.C.)
- Financing and Investment (Sept. 8, 2018)
- Employment and Labor (Sept. 8, 2018)
- Hawai’i and Washington State Cannabis Regulation (July 28, 2017)
- Speaker, “Cannabis: Examination of IP Protection, Regulatory, and Ethical Considerations” American Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Annual Meeting, Arlington, VA, (April 5, 2017)
- National Cannabis Industry Association’s Annual Business Summit (Oakland, CA)
- How to Tank Your Business – Don’t Do It! June 14, 2017
- Suing the Regulators – Can you? Should you? June 13, 2017
- Is CBD Really Legal? June 12, 2017
- Speaker, “Interstate Cannabis Brand Development,” Ganjapreneur (Seattle, WA), (April 6, 2016)
- Speaker, “Advanced Interstate Licensing for Cannabis Brands,” Women Grow Leadership Conference (Denver, CO), (Feb. 5, 2016)
- Speaker, “Legal and Operational Considerations for Medical Cannabis Dispensaries,” Hawai’i State Bar Association Convention (Honolulu, HI), (Oct. 23, 2015)
- Speaker, “The Legal Issues of Hawaii’s Medi-Pot Industry,” Civil Beat’s Pod Squad Podcast Live at University of Hawaii (Honolulu, HI), (Oct. 20, 2015)
- Speaker, “Washington State Cannabis Regulation,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association’s Western Regional Conference (Portland, OR), (June 14, 2014)
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- International Cannabis Bar Association
- Founding Board Member 2015-2018
- Advisory Board Member 2020-current
- Washington State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- J.D. University of California at Berkley School of Law
- B.S., magna cum laude, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Central European University in Budapest, Hungary (international human rights legal coursework)