Mark R. Johnsenhttps://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Mark-R-Johnsen-web-1024x453.jpg 1024 453 Karr Tuttle Campbell Karr Tuttle Campbell https://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Mark-R-Johnsen-web-1024x453.jpg
Mark R. Johnsen is a Karr Tuttle Campbell shareholder who concentrates his practice on litigation, with a particular emphasis on land use and environmental law, personal injury and appellate practice. He represents public entities, businesses, and individuals in a wide range of litigation in both federal and state courts.
Mark R. Johnsen is a graduate of Harvard University (B.A. 1975, Cum Laude) and the University of Washington (J.D., 1980). Mr. Johnsen focuses his practice on litigation, with particular emphasis on land use and environmental law, personal injury and appellate practice.
Mr. Johnsen represents public entities, businesses, and individuals in a wide range of litigation in both federal and state courts. He has successfully represented clients in numerous major appellate cases. Many of these cases have resulted in published opinions establishing judicial precedent on a variety of legal issues.
Mr. Johnsen is active in the American, Washington State and King County Bar Associations, and the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers. He has been a contributor and speaker for numerous continuing professional education seminars including serving for several years as an instructor for the nationally recognized Washington State Bar Skills Training Academy.
Mr. Johnsen has also been a leader in community and civic organizations, including the King County Open Space Citizens Oversight Committee, the King County Conservation Futures Committee and Cascade Land Conservancy/Forterra.
Mr. Johnsen has been voted one of Washington State’s “Super Lawyers” by Super Lawyers magazine on multiple occasions and was recognized by Seattle Magazine as one of Seattle’s “Top 155 Lawyers”. He was also selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and was named one of the “Top Lawyers in the Puget Sound Region” by Seattle Business Monthly.
- General civil litigation, especially municipality defense
- Land use and environmental litigation
- Appellate practice.
- Emerson v. Island County, 194 Wn. App. 1, 371 P.3d 93 (2016)
- Woods View II v. Kitsap County, 188 Wn. App. 1, 357 P.3d 807 (2015)
- Durland v. San Juan County, 182 Wn. 2d 55, 340 P.3d 191 (2014)
- Woodway v. Snohomish County, 180 Wn. 2d 1b5, 322 P.3d 1219 (2014)
- Manna Funding v. Kittitas County, 173 Wn. App. 879, 295 P.3d 1197 (2013)
- OSF v. Western Washington Growth Board, 166 Wn. App. 172, 274 P. 3d 1040 (2012)
- Marshall v. Thurston County, 165 Wn. App. 346, 267 P.3d 49 (2011)
- ICAN v. Western Washington Growth Board, 163 Wn. App. 513, 262 P.3d 81 (2011)
- Pierce v. Yakima County, 161 Wn. App. 791, 251 P.3d 270 (2011)
- Fitzpatrick v. Okanogan County, 169 Wn 2d 598, 238 P.3d 1129 (2010)
- Westway Construction v. Benton County, 136 Wn. App. 859, 151 P.3d 1005 (2006)
- Medina v. Public Util. Dist. No. 1, 147 Wn. 2d 303, 53 P.3d 993 (2002)
- Nykreim v. Chelan County, 146 Wn.2d 904, 52 P.3d 1 (2002)
- Olson v. City of Bellevue and King County, 93 Wn. App. 154, 968 P. 2d 894 (1998)
- Bruns v. Paccar, Inc. 77 Wn. App.201, 890 P. 2d 469 (1995)
- Pepper v. Welcome and King Co., 73 Wn. App. 523, 871 P.2d 601 (1994)
- King County v. Puget Power, 70 Wn. App. 58, 852 P. 2d 313 (1993)
- New Hampshire v. Myers, 69 Wn. App. 27, 848 P.2d 221 (1993)
- Greer v. Northwestern National, 109 Wn.2d 191, 743 P.2d 1244 (1987)
- Northwest Airlines v. Hughes Air West, 104 Wn.2d 152, 702 P.2d 1192 (1985)
- Malanca v. Falstaff Brewing Co., 694 F.2d 182 (9th Cir. 1982)
- “Avoiding and Defending Against Permit Error Claims” Professional Educational Webinar, 2012
- “Avoiding County Liability in Land Use Disputes,” Professional Education Presentation, 2009
- “Land use Perils,” Professional Education Presentations, Washington Counties Risk Pool, 2003
- “Defending Claims for Damages Arising from Land Use Decisions,” Professional Education Presentation, 1998
- Washington Civil Trial and Evidence Manual, 1994 and 2000 Revised Editions, Contributing Author
- “Defending Road Design Cases,” Washington State County Engineers, Professional Education Presentation, 1990
- “Growth in Personal Injury Lawsuits Against Governmental Agencies,” Washington Litigation Quarterly, Vol. 2, July, 1988
- Cascade Land Conservancy/ Forterra
- Director, Estuary Program
- King County Conservation Futures Citizen Committee
- Vice Chair
- J.D., University of Washington, 1980
- B.A. cum laude, Harvard University, 1975
- Washington State Bar, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1982
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers