James S. Irbyhttps://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/James-S-Irby-web-1024x453.jpg 1024 453 Karr Tuttle Campbell Karr Tuttle Campbell https://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/James-S-Irby-web-1024x453.jpg
Since James Irby joined the firm in 1985, he has concentrated his practice on commercial law, with a particular emphasis on structuring, negotiating and documenting a variety of commercial financing transactions. He often handles commercial real estate and construction loan transactions (representing both lenders and developers), credit enhanced tax exempt bond financing, and transactions involving acquisitions and divestitures of businesses and their assets.
Mr. Irby has extensive experience in commercial law, with a particular emphasis on structuring, negotiating and documenting a variety of commercial financing transactions, particularly commercial real estate and construction loan transactions (representing both lenders and developers), credit enhanced tax exempt bond financing, as well as transactions involving acquisitions and divestitures of businesses and their assets. Mr. Irby is also experienced in banking matters, problem loan workouts and creditors’ rights in bankruptcy. Mr. Irby is co-chair of Karr Tuttle Campbell’s Banking Practice group, and he has experience representing several national and state banks in connection with their lending activities.
Mr. Irby also has significant experience in general corporate and partnership law matters as well as commercial litigation. He is a frequent speaker and writer on subjects involving loan administration, lender liability, foreclosures, bankruptcy and loan workout agreements.
Prior to joining the firm in 1985, Mr. Irby served as law clerk to the chief judge of the Washington Court of Appeals, Division II. He also practiced for several years in Olympia, Washington, specializing in commercial law and banking transactions. Mr. Irby has been recognized by Seattle Magazine as on of Seattle’s “Top 155 Lawyers” and was also recognized by Seattle Business Monthly in 2007 and 2008 as one of Seattle’s “Top Business Attorneys”. Mr. Irby is a shareholder in the firm.
- “Negotiating Ground Leases and Commercial Leases”
- “Limited Liability Companies”
- “Commercial Lending In Washington”
- “Workouts, Compromises and Alternatives to Foreclosure”
- “Problem Loan Workouts”
- “Lender Liability: Loan Origination and Administration”
- “Real Estate in Bankruptcy”
- Intercommunity Housing
- Board of Directors, Chairperson
- Project Development Committee
- Assumption Parish
- J.D., Seattle University, cum laude, 1979
- Editor, University of Puget Sound Law Review
- Certificate, Commercial Real Estate Analysis, University of Washington, 1996
B.S., Business and Finance, University of Colorado, 1975
- All Washington state courts
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- American Bar Association
- Corporate, Business and Banking Section
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Real Property, Probate and Trust, Business Law Sections
- Financial Institutions Subsection
- Uniform Commercial Code Revisions Committee