J. Derek Littlehttps://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/J-Derek-Little-web-1-1024x453.jpg 1024 453 Karr Tuttle Campbell Karr Tuttle Campbell https://www.karrtuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/J-Derek-Little-web-1-1024x453.jpg
Derek Little joined Karr Tuttle Campbell as an associate in 2008. He focuses his practice on commercial litigation and labor and employment matters. Mr. Little is a member of the Washington State and King County Bar Associations.
Derek Little is graduate of the University of Chicago (J.D., 2008), the University of Washington (M.A., 2000), and Reed College (B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, 1997). His practice includes a broad range of litigation in federal and state courts. He focuses his practice on litigation, with particular emphasis on commercial litigation, land use litigation, labor and employment matters and appellate practice.
Mr. Little is active in the Washington State and King County Bar Associations and the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers. He has been a regular speaker at seminars regarding new developments in employment law and other issues.
Mr. Little has been voted one of Washington State’s “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Civil litigation, including general commercial, securities and other business litigation issues.
- Land use litigation.
- Labor and employment.
- Appellate practice.
- J.D., University of Chicago, 2008
- M.A., University of Washington, 2000
- B.A., Reed College, Phi Beta Kappa, 1997
- Washington State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Barbara Grashin & Shelby Company, LLC v. Rita Anches, No. 78732-2 (Wash. Ct. App. 2019). Successful appeal of an adverse ruling in King County Superior Court denying motion to compel arbitration. Reversed and remanded for entry of an order compelling arbitration.
- Bancroft v. Minnesota Life Insurance Company, No. 18-35642 (9th 2019). Ninth Circuit affirmed summary judgment dismissal of plaintiff’s claims for accelerated life insurance payment.
- LLC Member’s Involuntary Redemption. Represented an LLC member in a two-week arbitration arising from a punitive involuntary redemption of his membership interest. The arbitrator found for our client on claims of breach of the operating agreement, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, breach of fiduciary duty, wrongful termination, and willful deprivation of wages. The arbitrator also awarded fees and costs, for a total award of more than $10.5 million (2018).
- Proliance Surgeons, Inc., P.S., et al. v. Air Trek, Inc., et ano., No. 2:18-cv-00835-RSM (W.D. Wash. 2018). Represented plaintiffs in dispute over $723,750 in billed charges for air ambulance services. Negotiated successful settlement of claims.
- Ledgewood Landslide Litigation. Nowell, et.al. v. Island County and Kachi et.al. v. Island County, Snohomish County Superior Court, Nos. 15-2-02996-5 and 15-2-03058-1 (2015). Represented county in homeowner class action and individual lawsuits arising from major landslide. Both cases successfully settled.
- Baxter v. MBA Group Ins. Health & Welfare Trust, 958 F. Supp. 2d 1223 (W.D. Wash. 2013). Obtained summary judgment in ERISA benefits case involving proton beam radiation therapy.
- Bero v. Westerdal, et al. King County Superior Court, Nos. 10-2-27415-4 SEA and 13-2-25989-3 SEA. Represented co-founder of an internet startup business in an action to recover his share of the proceeds of the sale of the company. Obtained a $3 million cash settlement, plus his ownership interest in the acquiring company. In a second action to enforce the settlement agreement, obtained summary judgment for the client, recovery of substantial attorney fees, and appointment of a receiver to liquidate defendants’ assets as required to satisfy judgment.
- Speaker: “Washington’s New Non-compete Law” (2020)
- Speaker: “Arbitration and Washington’s New Right to Public Pursuit of Employment Discrimination Claims” (2019)
- Speaker: “Business Competition & Alternative Dispute Resolution in Employment Agreements” (2018)
- Speaker: “Social Media, Email and Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act” (2015)
- Speaker: “Interacting Leave and Disability Laws” (2015)
- Speaker: “Employee Hiring and Firing” (2014)